Working Holiday / Gap Year in Australia

Australia is a hot working holiday and gap year destination. Every year literally thousands of young visitors from many countries come to experience all that Australia has to offer. Imagine spending your days surfing at some of the world’s most famous beaches, diving in a world-renowned reef, hiking through world heritage-listed rainforests, learning how to muster cattle on an outback station, experiencing Indigenous culture, enjoying the local food or just spending your time mingling with the locals.

Working Holiday Visas

Visa: Working Holiday
Available to citizens of: Belgium, Canada (18-35 years),  Cyprus Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland (Republic), Italy, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan,
Length of stay: 12 months
Age: 18 to 30 years unless stipulated above after country name

Visa: Work and Holiday
Available to citizens of: Argentina, Bangladesh,  Chile (18-35 years), Indonesia, Thailand, Turkey, USA, Uruguay.
Length of stay: 12 months
Age: 18 to 30 years unless stipulated above after country name

Visa: Youth Mobility
Available to citizens of: United Kingdom
Length of stay: 12-24 months
Age: 18 to 30 years

Visa: Work Exchange Program
Available to citizens of: Singapore
Length of stay: 6 months
Age: 18 to 30 years

Types of work for travellers

There is lots of work in the major cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth and Darwin. You need to choose which city you want to base yourself in. Each have a lot to offer.

There is all sorts of work available, particularly office based positions, secretarial, accounting and banking, etc. Many travellers pick up hospitality work in one of the many cafes and restaurants.

Many travellers pick up work as they travel around. During the winter months work can be found in the NSW and Victorian ski fields. There is also year-round fruit and vegetable picking available. Doing this type of work can see you have your working holiday visa extended to 2 years.

Where will you live?

Australia offers many accommodation options ranging from hostels to five star hotels with everything else in between. When newly arrived you will need short-term accommodation and most find a hostel for a week or two. Some stay in hostels while others move in to flat shares. Many buy a camper van and travel the country in one of these as this will become your home.

For more details on a working holiday and / or gap year in Australia visit our website



 Return to Destinations