Live Work Play









Live Work Play Australia


Australia is a hot working holiday destination not only for visitors from overseas but for Australians themselves.

Imagine spending your time on a golden beach while taking dips in the crystal blue water. Perhaps snorkling or diving in the Great Barrier Reef. Maybe swimming with sharks in the Ningaloo Reef is more your style. What about discovering the Indigenous culture in the Red centre and beyond. Perhaps you want to enjoy great coffee and other treats in the cafes and restaurants. Or go out most nights and the variety of night life. If you can, then living, working and playing in and around Australia might just be for you.

Now Australians don’t need a visa to work and travel around their own country. And Australia has a special relationship with New Zealand that allows citizens from that country to come and live and work. But if you are from another country you will need a visa.

The Working Holiday Program

Australia’s Working Holiday Program is very popular. Each year thousands of new working holiday makers descend on Australia’s shores. There are two visas available that allow you to work and travel in Australia.

The program allows citizens of other countries who are aged between 18 and 30 years of age to come to Australia to travel and work for up to 12 months. If you work in Australia’s regional areas, in certain circumstances you may be able to extend your stay for an additional 12 months. There are two visas available under the programme and they are the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462).

If you intend to participate in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker programme, you must apply for your visa before you arrive. These types of visas allow you to stay and work full-time, part-time, casual, shift and voluntary work for up to 12 months. You can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Two types of Visa under the Working Holiday Program

Apply for the Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) if you are from:
• Argentina
• Bangladesh
• Chile
• Indonesia
• Malaysia
• Poland
• Turkey
• Thailand
• Uruguay

Apply for the Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) if you are from:
• United Kingdom
• Canada
• Belgium
• Denmark
• Estonia
• Finland
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong
• Italy
• Japan
• Malta
• Netherlands
• Norway
• Republic of Ireland
• Republic of Cyprus
• Republic of Korea
• Sweden
• Taiwan

The Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection manages all visa applications (Tourist Visa, Student Visa, Business Visa, etc). Their website will tell you everything you need to know about the various visas to enter Australia including types of visas, your eligibility and obligations and how to apply:

If you are hoping to work and / or are planning your travels around Australia check out our blogs on accommodation, travel and work options.

Don’t forget, it is advisable to have travel insurance for your time in Australia. You just never know what mishap may occur and it is best to be safe than sorry.

Read our Work and Travel Blogs for Australia