Work and travel Asia. Extend your travels in Asia by working

Asia is on a lot of people’s bucket lists. The region offers travellers unique insights in to different cultures, food, beautiful places and manic cities. Travellers love to extended their time in this part of the world. They often do this by working and travelling in a particular Asian country. And there are a number of work options available.

Asia Working Holiday Visas

The Asia region includes many countries and a number of them have working holiday visas available to citizens of other countries. The countries currently with a working holiday arrangement include Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Phillipines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. You will need to check with the High Commissions and Consulates of these countries as to whether your country has a working holiday agreement available. They are usually only available to people aged 18-30 (sometimes up to 35 years) inclusive. Read our blog to find out more details on working holiday and work and holiday visas in Asia.  

If successful in obtaining one of the working holiday visas you can usually stay in that country for up to 12 months (sometimes longer). With one of these you can undertake work and immerse yourself in all that country has to offer.

Typical traveller jobs

Travellers will often take on different types of work when they work and travel in Asia. These include working in a hostel, domestic work, hospitality work in tourist hot spots and being a digital nomad. But the biggest type of employment is teaching English.

Now if you didn’t qualify for a working holiday visa don’t worry. Teaching English has long been a way for travellers to extend their stay in most countries. This is because many English Language Schools will sponsor travellers to teach English. Now just because you can speak English doesn’t mean you can teach it. Therefore, having a qualification such as the TEFL Certificate will help you obtain a good job. To find out about qualifications available check out I-to-i. They are a leader in Teaching English qualifications.

English language schools cater to different learners. From children to business people and those who just want or need to learn English. Classes are often out of business hours because most will be going to school or work. Though classes can be held during the day also. Apart from English Language schools offering sponsorship they sometimes include accommodation. If not you will need short term accommodation in either a hostel or small hotel until you find something more permanent.

You might want to read our blog on Teaching English. We also have an ebook available providing extensive information on getting qualified to teach English. It also includes school contacts in Asia and other areas of the world to help you land a job. Click on the link to download your copy.

If Asia is on your list and you want to extend your time in the region then consider your options to work and travel in Asia. Teaching English in Asia is one of the best options.

  • About the Author

    Sharyn McCullum has travelled most of her life thanks to her dad who worked at Sydney Airport. In her 20’s she left Australia and spent 4 years on a working holiday in London and the UK before working and travelling in other countries. She is the founder of the LiveWork&Play series of working holiday guides, this website and others. She currently calls Melbourne home.


    P.S. – Leaving soon? Already on the road? Use the links below. These are all my go-to travel sites to get great deals and save me money.

    Please note: Some links are affiliate links and when you buy something through them we receive a commission at not extra cost to you. We thank you in advance for doing this as it helps to keep this website going.

    But most of all, enjoy your travels wherever you are going in the world.

  • Thanks for sharing!

    Join Us!

    For global travel advice and tips on living, working, playing and travelling around the world.

    You have Successfully Subscribed!