Working Holiday and Work and Holiday Visas

by | Sep 11, 2020 | Live Work Play Travel, Visas | 0 comments

There are two types of visas available for those aged 18-35 years of age who want to live and work in another country for an extended period (usually 1-2 years). The Working Holiday Visa and the Work and Holiday Visa. Here are the differences between the two visas and the specifics of whether you qualify for one.

OneSimCard - prepaid cell phone service in over 200 countries, save up to 85% on your cell phone calls while abroad


Differences between the Working Holiday and the Work and Holiday Visa


Both the Working Holiday and the Work and Holiday Visa are basically a residence permit. If you qualify for one you can undertake employment in the country issuing the visa to supplement your travel funds. Sometimes there are restrictions on the type of work you can do in some of the countries. This is why you often here of typical ‘backpacker jobs’.

The main difference between the two visas is the Work and Holiday Visa is aimed at students or recently qualified tertiary students. Where as the Working Holiday Visa is aimed at anyone aged between 18-30 (sometimes 35) years of age. Both visas allow you to undertake work while you are living in a particular destination. See following for more details on both of the visas.

To find out which countries have the Working Holiday Visa and the Work and Holiday Visa available check out my Destinations page. Here you will find visa information of the countries where you could live, work and play either on the Working Holiday Visa and/or the Work and Holiday Visa.


Working Holiday Visa at a glance


In general:

  • Your main intention is to holiday and take incidental work.
  • Must be 18 to 30 years (sometimes 18 to 35 years) inclusive at the time of your application.
  • Be single or married without children.
  • Prove you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your initial stay.
  • Have a return and or onward ticket or sufficient funds so you can leave the country at the end of your stay.
  • Each country issues a working holiday visa once in your life time. So make the most of your time. Most countries allow you to stay for 12 months. Some allow a stay of up to 24 months.


Work and Holiday Visa at a glance


In general:

  • Your main intention is to holiday and take incident work.
  • Be 18 to 30 years (sometimes 18 to 35 years) inclusive at the time of your application.
  • Hold a tertiary qualification or be studying full-time
  • Speak English
  • Obtain a letter of support from your Government.


Over 30? Don’t worry if you don’t qualify for a working holiday and or work and holiday visa. There are still many work opportunities available to you as you travel the world. Read my Over 30 Work and Travel Options post here.

If you want to apply for either the working holiday visa and or the work and holiday visa you should contact your nearest Consulate, Embassy or High Commission of the country to which you would like to have an extended stay.



READ MORE: Digital Nomad Visas


Working Holiday and Work and Holiday Visas

Thanks for sharing!

Useful Travel Resources for Your Next Adventure!


Accommodation: Where Will You Sleep Tonight? If you want a bed in a hostel dorm find a great deal with HostelWorld. I mostly stay in hotels now, is my favourite site for booking hotels from budget to ‘I feel like splurging’. For something completely different I house and pet sitting through Trusted Housesitters – this has saved me thousands on accommodation, no joke!

Flights: I always head to Skyscanner first to find a cheap and flexible flight.

Car Rental: When I need to rent a car I turn to RentalCars.

Train Travel: I love riding the train rails and get the best value from raileurope. And Japan has a great one too – JapanRail Pass.

Bus Travel: Check out Busbud for bus tickets.

Pre-organised Tours: I’ve been on a few in my time with Contiki being my first and favourite. if you are 18-35 years of age you should check them out.

Jump-the-queue entrance tickets: I don’t enjoy standing in long queues which is why I book my entrance tickets and day trips in advance. My favourite website to book them in advance is GetYourGuide.

Travel Insurance. There are a number of reasons why travel insurance is important and I never travel without having bought a policy as you never know when something might happen. SafetyWing is great digital nomads and long-term travellers and World Normads has policies for general and adventure travel.


Sharyn McCullum In A Black T-shirt With Her Live Work Play Travel Logo In The Shape Of A World.

Hi. Sharyn here. Savvy Australian female with a passion for travel and working abroad. I’m on a mission to provide you with my best tips, tricks and hacks to work abroad and travel the world. If I can do it, so can you!  Read more.


Get a Great Airfare

Do You Need Accommodation Tonight?

Be Covered with Travel Insurance

Join Me and Subscribe

Travel Like a Pro with a copy of Ready, Set, Go – Travel

Three Suitcases Standing On Top Of The World For The New Cover For Ready, Set,Go - Travel Your Pre-planning Guide For Your Overseas Adventure.

Is London Calling You for a Working Holiday?

Big Ben At Parliament House On The River Thames in London At Sunset Is The Image On The Front Cover Of Live Work And Play In London And The UK.

Teach English Abroad or Online

Teaching English Abroad Or Online Is A Great Way To Earn Money To Fund Your Travels Just Like The Female Writing On A White Board Teaching.

Sharyn McCullum In A Black T-shirt With Her Live Work Play Travel Logo In The Shape Of A World.


Hi, Sharyn here. I’m the face behind Live Work Play Travel. I’ve travelled all my life thanks to my dad who worked for an airline – thanks dad! I’ve been a travel writer/blogger and living a location independent lifestyle since 1993. My aim with Live Work Play Travel is to provide you with the info to start living, working and travelling around the world like I do. I currently live in Melbourne with my partner and 2 kids. 


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Blue and Pink Sunset Over Mountains to Work Abroad, Work Online, Travel the World.

Get Ready to Travel and Work Abroad


with my free International Travel Checklist and make living, travelling and working abroad a breeze.

You have Successfully Subscribed.